Historical Timeline

1911

The Saskatchewan Pharmaceutical Association is formed.

1913

The University of Saskatchewan (U of S) School of Pharmacy is established in Saskatoon under the directorship of Alexander Campbell.

1921

The U of S School of Pharmacy is renamed the College of Pharmacy.

1946

The minimum educational requirement to become a registered pharmacist in Saskatchewan is set at four years.

1953

The Saskatchewan branch of the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists (CSHP) is founded.

1961

The first edition of the Compendium of Pharmaceutical Specialties (CPS) is made available. It contains 600 monographs. The 2010 edition has 2200 monographs and weighs over 8lbs!

1987

The Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy program at the U of S is revised: students must complete one year of university training before entering the 4 year Pharmacy program.

1994

The College of Pharmacy at the U of S is renamed the College of Pharmacy and Nutrition.

1998

The Representative Board of Saskatchewan Pharmacists (RBSP) is formed.

2001

The RBSP becomes fully independent and autonomous from the Saskatchewan Pharmacists Association (SPhA) and relocates to Regina.

2003

The SPhA changes its name to the Saskatchewan College of Pharmacists (SCP)

2005

The secure patient on-line medication record system Pharmaceutical Information Program (PIP) is made available to health care professionals across the province, greatly improving patient safety.

2007

RBSP changes its name to the Pharmacists’ Association of Saskatchewan (PAS).

2008

Blueprint for Pharmacy: Vision for Pharmacy, a national model and implementation plan for pharmacy practice is completed.

2011

Pharmacists in Saskatchewan granted prescriptive authority to prescribe prescription medications for refills, emergency supplies and minor health ailments.

2013

Pharmacists gain access to patient lab values and immunization records within pharmacies.

Top